Sanghata Global enables social innovation for transformational change and helps create a more inclusive form of capitalism.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY In 2009, Sabiha proposed the concept for a uniquely innovative program that would transfer business skills and opportunities to enterprising people in the world’s most deprived areas. In 2010, her proposal led to the co-founding of the Frontier Market Scouts (FMS) program with Dr. Yuwei Shi and its establishment under his leadership by a Sanghata partnership with the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, (MIIS).
ENDORSEMENT Just two years after launch, in 2013, our Frontier Market Scouts (FMS) program won the Ashoka U-Cordes Award for Impact, Innovation and Potential for Replicability, probably the most prestigious award in the social entrepreneurship sector.
OUR FRONTIER MARKET SCOUTS PROGRAM Our Frontier Market Scouts Program selects and trains compassionate and capable young professionals to become talent scouts and investment managers serving local entrepreneurs and social-minded investors in low-income and weak-capital regions of the world. The scouts provide due diligence for investors and technical assistance for entrepreneurs with the goal of generating high-quality deal flows and supporting portfolio companies at a low cost.
The program consists of a 2-week training in Monterey, California, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands, every January/February and June/July. The training prepares fellows for 2 to 12 month field assignments around the world. Read More
OUR PARTNERS The FMS program was established by a partnership between Sanghata and the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, California. Our field partners are an expanding network of business practitioners, impact investors, organizations and like- minded partners.
OUR IMPACT Since our program launch in 2011, we have trained 270 social enterprise professionals from 20 countries, and have helped to scale over 100 social enterprises in 28 countries. Read More
Sanghata’s work helps to boost awareness in the public and private sector of newly emerging and frontier market ecosystems, business models, and market opportunities.
- We believe our approach helps accelerate wealth creation in poor areas through more entrepreneurial ventures and investment funds aimed at serving capital-weak markets; a greater emphasis on market solutions and private sector development in the non-profit and public aid communities; more multinational corporations designing products and services for the enterprising poor; and more interest by the engineering and research communities in the design of cheap, high-impact technologies for emerging frontier markets.
- We believe that before long governments will pay more attention to small businesses and grassroots entrepreneurs as engines of growth, resulting in more investment in relevant public infrastructure and more awareness in the worldwide business community of market challenges and opportunities in low-income areas.
Our work can help governments and non-profits understand how market solutions can accelerate wealth creation in the poverty-stricken regions of our world.
SANGHATA OFFERS SUSTAINABLE VALUE through:
- Innovative models focused on serving enterprising people and blueprints for an influx in resources to grassroots entrepreneurship worldwide.
- Job creation in low-income areas, as well as facilitation of the development of low-cost, high-impact product, process and service innovation. (Both serve enterprising people by simultaneously creating wealth and improving quality of life.)
- Education of business and development students on how to respond to opportunities in emerging and frontier markets, and in the process help reduce poverty.
- Immersive experiences, along with original data and insights into the ecosystems of the ‘enterprising poor’ to the global business, development and policy communities.
- Technological paths (business models, distribution and adoption strategies) to emerging frontier markets through which exponentially powerful, cheap and relevant technologies can be delivered, to provide efficient, scalable and sustainable solutions to the enterprising poor’s greatest problems (such as sanitation, energy, and health).
Poverty is an affliction that requires creative, collaborative problem solving by inspired and dedicated professionals across different sectors, cultural and geographical boundaries.
For insights into the impact of our Scouts work Read More